Mrs. Thaw decided to make a visit for New Year’s Day! It was warm, probably 50 degrees or more, and rainy…we raked up the compost that has been scattered by the chickens, the kids rode their new tractor gifted by Grandpa Steve and Grandma Connie, and I cleaned out the chicken coop. It felt good to be doing real work outside and not be freezing!!!
The day started off with a yummy breakfast of Nut and Grain Pancakes and of course, Fresh eggs!
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)
- Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine. In a large bowl, combine ground oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, oil, egg, and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix wet ingredients into dry with a few swift strokes. Stir in nuts, if desired.
- Lightly oil a skillet or griddle, and preheat it to medium heat. Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet; cook the pancakes for 2 to 4 minutes per side, or until brown.
Even Cash and Caroline got a nice hot breakfast of scrambled eggs!
In new house news, we’ve set our closing date for our loan for next Monday! You’ll only hear me be excited about a mortgage this one time!